7 Things To Do That Make You Look Good To Your Boss
If you are like me, you have a self-imposed highly set bar for work with your name on it. I do not like performing sub par ever. Some people may think you are kissing up to the boss, when in reality, you are performing to your potential. Here are 7 things you can do to make yourself look good to your boss and know you are simply performing to a higher standard.
- Work with your boss in a sincere manner showing a positive attitude and open communication. This will help to build trust and respect between you and helps build bridges to lead to influence and empowerment in the future.
- Understanding your boss and who he or she is, is an amazing way to know how they function and what drives them. Getting to know them also gives you a peek at what they value and what their goals are. If you understand what drives them, you can help them along the way.
- You want your boss to be human and remember that you are human too. That means that you must also remember that they are human and will make mistakes. Being able to forgive or overlook their mistakes can improve the relationship between the two of you.
- Publicly supporting your boss, even if you disagree with them. If you have a disagreement, the place to discuss that is one on one with them, not airing dirty laundry in a public forum. Backing your boss shows loyalty and can help build trust and respect, plus shows that you are a professional.
- Your boss wants to look good to his or her boss. By doing your job not only correctly, but to the best of your ability helps him or her look good. Your boss will most likely remember how well you made him or her look when it is time for reviews, raises, or promotions.
- Knowing your boss is always the boss. Don’t forget that they have authority and should be respected for that authority. If you disrespect him or her it may damage your reputation, if you disrespect him or her in front of his or her boss, you may be blacklisted.
- When it is time for you to move on, give two weeks’ notice and remain engaged through your last day. This will speak highly of your character and could be huge if you need a reference letter from your former boss in the future. And make sure you resign in person when possible.
Question: There are my seven tips for looking good to your boss. What do you think? Would you add anything else? You can leave a comment by clicking here.